We understand that some parents may have heard and concerned about the news about the Maclaren Recall that happened only in the USA on 10 November 09. It is actually a Voluntary recall and this does not represent that the product is unsafe to use. So parents do not need to be worry too much about this. The main point is – to keep children clear from the stroller during opening and folding the stroller.
As a precaution step, Maclaren is also distributing free safety kit to pram owners worldwide.
Maclaren has shared out a video with all the consumers on the correct way of opening and folding a Maclaren umbrella stroller. They also assured that “Maclaren umbrella strollers meet all U.S. ASTM & JPMA compliance standards. These certifications guarantee Maclaren umbrella strollers meet the required maximum safety standards. Maclaren umbrella strollers have served as the benchmark for quality for umbrella strollers and have maintained outstanding records for safety along with durability for over 40 years.”
Some basic precautions shared by Maclaren in their official Recall notification letter, and actually this shall also apply to all other buggy’s owners as a safety precaution:
- Keep children clear of the stroller during opening and folding.
- Always use the safety harness.
- Always apply the brakes when stationary.
- Never leave your child unattended – even with the harness fastened.
- Don’t overload the buggy. Heavy items hanging from the handles can cause it to topple over.
- Don’t let children play or climb on a stroller and don’t carry a second child on a stroller designed for one child.
- Negotiate curbs carefully. Wherever possible always carry a stroller down flights of stairs.